Sat, Jun 10|
Negotiate. Play. Repeat!!
Time & Location
Jun 10, 7:00 PM – 11:00 PM
Upline, 1 Hartford Square Suite 215, New Britain, CT 06052, USA
About the Event
**Note** Please be on time for this class. The full explanation of the exercise including safety and rules will be discussed in the beginning and it is super important to be there.
The Sensation Swap is the most fun way to practice all our knowledge while playing with our senses. Sensation Play is a great intro to play because it doesn’t have to be extreme or skilled to be exciting and fun. Toys and sensation implements will be provided but feel free to bring your own.
This is an exercise that anyone, no matter how new, can participate in. With that in mind, you do not need to be new to have an absolute blast! No need to come with a partner, we will be partnering up at random. Confused? Perfect! This is what it looks like:
- Playing cards will be shuffled and passed out to all participants. Half of the cards will be red and the other half black. If you pull the red 7, that means you will be partnered with who possesses the black 7.
- Once you have found your partner, we start to practice our negotiation skills. The person holding the black card will top first. They will propose 3 scenes involving sensation that can be completed in 2 minutes. At least one of those 3 scenes needs to be non-contact (think sound or visual senses). Example: I can run this feather over your body, I can give you a shoulder massage, or I can rapidfire dad jokes at you for 2 minutes. The person holding the red card consents to bottoming for one of the three scenes. They are also allowed to modify a proposed scene or suggest one of their own. At any point, anyone can revoke their consent to this activity and that will be respected. No is a full sentence. Once a scene is enthusiastically agreed upon, the two minute scene begins. When the scene is over, check in with each other before proceeding.
- It is now the time to switch! The holder of the red card now becomes the top and begins the process of proposing 3 scenes, at least one no contact. Negotiation begins and the process repeats. When the second scene is over, return your playing card to the host and wait for all to do the same.
One round of the game is now complete. Congratulations, you have just negotiated two scenes, topped, and bottomed with someone potentially brand new to you! By the end of the evening, the goal is to become more comfortable with asking new people for play, to advocate for yourself and what you want and what you don’t, and to get in some fun low-key play!! We will likely run this exercise for half the night and open the second half to open play if we decide.
The main focus of this event is for everyone to practice negotiating. Play may happen, play may not happen. If your goal for this evening is just to play with a bunch of different people, this is probably not the event for you. We need to practice saying no and we need to practice hearing no GRACEFULLY. We are adults and we are expected to act as such. If you feel the need to pout, loudly express displeasure, or make anyone feel bad about saying no, you WILL be asked to step out or leave.
COVID-19 PRECAUTIONS (Masks Optional)
The following precautions will be in place for this event:
- For this event, masks will be optional inside the buildings. You are welcome and encouraged to make the best decision for you.
- Our capacity (guests, staff, and presenters included) will be capped at 20 people.
- Upon entry you must present your CDC vaccination card, electronic vaccine passport, or state issued vaccination certificate that shows that you have received your original COVID-19 vaccinations as well as a booster along with your government issued ID to check for a name match on the card/certificate/passport. You will not be admitted into the event if you do not present these documents. If your medical professional has advised you that you cannot get a booster at this time or you are ineligible for one because it has been less than 5 months since your last vaccination dose an exception will be granted.