Sat, Sep 09|
How to Self Suspension
Rise to your own occasion!
Time & Location
Sep 09, 9:00 AM – Sep 10, 6:00 PM
New Britain, 1 Hartford Square Suite 215, New Britain, CT 06052, USA
About the Event
In this workshop you will gain familiarity with how to effectively self tie harnesses. Harnesses needed for this workshop will be taught during the workshop. You do not need to come with extensive knowledge of self tying and self suspending already, this is an entry level based curriculum provided you meet the required prerequisites. If you have any questions or are unsure if this weekend is right for you, we encourage you to contact the presenters before purchasing tickets.
The goal of this workshop is for you to have all the tools necessary, and to feel comfortable and confident to start your self suspension journey.
Prerequisites: PLEASE READ
- Full functional knowledge of basic frictions, munters and half hitches.
- Proficient execution of the Somervile bowline
- Ability to self-tie a harness (does not need to be suspendable) and understand the concept of tension
- If you have any questions or are unsure if this weekend is right for you, we encourage you to contact the presenters before purchasing tickets.
- Two 48” long weight rated climbing straps
- 8 weight rated carabiners (min of 4 locking - screwgate or twist lock are acceptable). Purchasing Black Diamond carabiners from REI is recommended for both quality and a lifetime guarantee.
- Minimum of 6 standard (~ 30 foot) hanks of rope for body rope (extra rope and half lengths strongly encouraged). Jute, hemp, mfp, and nylon are all acceptable.
- At least 3 standard (~ 30 foot) hanks of rope for uplines. Posh strongly encouraged.
- A cutting tool
- Rings and rigging plates are not required but optional if you already own it
We will NOT have loaner rope or other equipment for the workshop. If you are unsure whether a part of your rope kit is suitable for suspension, feel free to reach out to either:
@Serafina on Discord and Fetlife or at SerafinaSilk@yahoo.com
@Niki on Discord or SubtleRebellion on Fetlife
But what should I wear?
Come dressed in clothing you can easily move in comfortably. DO NOT WEAR SLICK or SHINY LEGGINGS. We recommend athletic shorts or cotton leggings. Loose fitting clothing is acceptable, but challenging to tie over. Bring a blanket and any other aftercare/comfort needs as rope is quite strenuous on the body.
Schedule for both Saturday and Sunday
9a - 9:30a Doors open for coffee, donuts and socials. Please come hydrated and well rested.
9:30p - 1p Workshop!
1p - 1:45p Lunch provided
1:45p - 6p More Workshop!
Note: Lunch and class-end-time may not be exact. Depending on the flow of the day we may do lunch a touch early or later. The end of day may experience the same flux depending on how quickly we go through the material. The start of class at 9:30a, however, IS an exact start time.
ABOUT THE PRESENTERS
Fina (She/Her) Switch, Rope Human, Positivity Enthusiast, NEMA Mentor Coordinator Serafina is an introductory level, safety-forward educator in Central Connecticut. She feels the best part of teaching is sharing the excitement of discovery and instilling confidence in those who may be shy or tentative. Her teaching style starts at a beginner level with heavy emphasis on safety and effective negotiation. Entering Fetlandia in August 2017, she wanted to learn everything she could about all the wonderful new activities she was seeing around her. That's when the "Education Frenzy" began, attending countless classes and intensives. What inspires Serafina most is creative collaboration, visual shapes and colors, combining mediums and passions, and finding creative solutions around physical limitations.
Nikki (She/her) is an all around Switch, Rope enthusiast, and NEMA mentor. Nikki has explored and discovered much about her kink, queer, and polyamorous self; and as a switch, she has had the pleasure of learning from both sides of the slash. Her first dive into getting involved in communities started early in her exploration in 2018 and rope was her initial draw to the lifestyle. Nikki wants to share her passion for rope with others with education focused on the fundamentals and safety. She is drawn to rope due to the extensive variety of experiences it can provide. Both as a top and bottom she enjoys the creative shapes, challenges, and connections it brings, and wants to educate and encourage others to find what they love about it as well.
The following precautions will be in place for this event:
- For this event, masks will be optional
- Our capacity (guests, staff, and presenters included) will be capped at 14 people including staff.
- Upon entry you must present your CDC vaccination card, electronic vaccine passport, or state issued vaccination certificate that shows that you have received your original COVID-19 vaccinations as well as a booster along with your government issued ID to check for a name match on the card/certificate/passport. You will not be admitted into the event if you do not present these documents. If your medical professional has advised you that you cannot get a booster at this time or you are ineligible for one because it has been less than 5 months since your last vaccination dose an exception will be granted.